Breathe on Me, Breath of God

The breath of God is so powerful.  It represents the impact of the Spirit of God when He comes into contact with mortal beings in igniting life, vitality, and freshness.


This beautiful hymn, "Breathe on Me, Breath of God" was written by Edwin Hatch in 1878. Hatch was a British theologian, church historian, and hymn writer.


The story behind the hymn is rooted in Hatch's desire to express the deep longing for spiritual renewal and the filling of the Holy Spirit.


As you meditate on this hymn, may you be drawn to a deep yearning for God's Spirit for life, guidance, and power.


1. Breathe on me, Breath of God

Fill me with life anew

That I may love what Thou dost love

And do what Thou wouldst do//


2. Breathe on me, Breath of God

Until my heart is pure

Until with Thee I will one will,

To do and to endure//


3. Breathe on me, Breath of God

Till I am wholly Thine,

Till all this earthly part of me

Glows with Thy fire divine//


4. Breathe on me, Breath of God

so shall I never die

But live with Thee the perfect life

Of Thine eternity//


‘And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.”’ (John 20:22)


May Edwin Hatch's timeless hymn continue to inspire and uplift us, as we seek the breath of God in our lives!


Remain inspired!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eyes are watching

A Punctuation in History

IS GOD SILENT OR WE ARE DEAF?