Dignity Over Comfort


“However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.” (Acts 20:24)


In her autobiography, "Unbowed" (2006), Wangari Maathai, a Kenyan environmentalist and women's rights activist, tells her powerful story.


In the 1980s, Maathai founded the Green Belt Movement, which aimed to empower women and promote sustainable development. Despite facing harassment, intimidation, and imprisonment by the Kenyan government, Maathai continued her work, saying:


"I was not going to be intimidated or deterred from my work... I was prepared to die for it."


Maathai chose to prioritize her dignity and the well-being of her community over personal comfort and safety. Her determination and courage earned her the Nobel Peace Prize in 2004. 


Like the Apostle Paul, we must find something of greater value that we can cherish more than our own sense of enjoyment.


Leaders who make a difference aspire for a greater good than their personal satisfaction. They do not place their comfort ahead of their dignity. Leaders who focus on their personal satisfaction neither go far themselves nor take their organizations far. 


Point out a leader who has made a great impact and we can see a leader who has made a great deal of sacrifice on behalf of his people. Great leaders prioritize dignity over comfort.


Remain inspired!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eyes are watching

A Punctuation in History

IS GOD SILENT OR WE ARE DEAF?