For These Three Things I Pray


The following hymn which I commonly sung during children's services is attributed to Richard of Chichester. 


Day by day, dear Lord

For these three things I pray

To see thee more clearly

Love thee more dearly

Follow thee more nearly

Day by day.


The hymn is a prayer in which the writer asks for three things:


  1. To see God more clearly. This is a prayer to know God better. A clearer revelation of God revolutionizes our spiritual and moral life. 


“I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death.” (Philippians 3:10)


  1. To love God more dearly. This is a great prayer point because the ultimate is to love God.


Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. (Matthew 22:37-38)


  1. To follow God more nearly. Jesus has charged us to take up our cross and follow Him.


Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” (Luke 9:23)


May God help us to constantly yearn for intimacy with Him.


“One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.” (Psalms 27:4)


Remain inspired!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eyes are watching

A Punctuation in History

IS GOD SILENT OR WE ARE DEAF?